OHATS04: Logbook Entries

OHATS04: ASIT Messages: 9 Entries..

Return to Logbook Contents Page
Entry Date Title Site Author #Graphics
41 Tue 26-Oct-2004Mini-node mods, 9/24 - 10/8toweredson
40 Tue 26-Oct-2004WHOI mini-nodestoweredson
36 Thu 23-Sep-2004restarted port 18towerhorst
35 Wed 22-Sep-2004restarted port 18towerhorst
34 Tue 14-Sep-2004restarted port 18towerhorst
32 Fri 03-Sep-2004ASIT power offtowerhorst
27 Thu 26-Aug-2004ASIT power restoredtowerhorst
21 Tue 17-Aug-2004ASIT power downtowerhorst
14 Wed 04-Aug-2004ASIT dimensionstowerhorst

41: ASIT, Site tower, Tue 26-Oct-2004 12:10:40 EDT, Mini-node mods, 9/24 - 10/8
On September 22 we shut down power on the ASIT for dive operations.
When the power was turned back on, we failed to establish communication with
mini-node #1. On September 24, 2004 we moved the some cables from mini-node#1
to mini-node #2 such that:

Mini-node #1:
9.ASCII data stream from a Campbell CR10X logging
a.Eppley PIR sensor
b.Eppley PSP sensor
c.Vaisala P/RH/T sensor
d.RM Young Rain gauge

Mini-node #2
10.ASCII data from a Riegl laser altimeter
11.ASCII data from a Riegl laser altimeter
12.ASCII data from a Riegl laser altimeter
13.An ASCII data stream output to NCAR from 3 altimeters
14.Binary data stream from a Campbell CR23X logging
a.MotionPak sensor
15.Binary data stream from a Campbell CR23X logging
a.  Campbell CSAT sonic
a.Licor IRGA  hygrometer
b.Vaisala RH/T sensor
c.Fast ozone sensor
16.ASCII data stream from Licor IRGA hygrometer

The required data processing on mini-node #2 eventually overwhelmed the PC-104
system.  When this occurred, the binary stream from the CR23X continued to flow
to the NCAR system, but the altimeter system stopped.  After the second time
this occurred on September 26, 2004, the binary stream from the Campbell 23X
and ASCII stream from the Licor were turned off, leaving only
the laser altimeters and MotionPak on mini-node #2.

On October 1, 2004 we moved the CR23X and Licor cables back to mini-node #1 and
began logging as:

Mini-node #1:
17.Binary data stream from a Campbell CR23X logging
a.  Campbell CSAT sonic
18.Licor IRGA  hygrometer
19.Vaisala RH/T sensor
20.Fast ozone sensor
21.ASCII data stream from a Campbell CR10X logging
a.Eppley PIR sensor
b.Eppley PSP sensor
c.Vaisala P/RH/T sensor
d.RM Young Rain gauge
22.ASCII data stream from Licor IRGA hygrometer

Mini-node #2
ASCII data from a Riegl laser altimeter
ASCII data from a Riegl laser altimeter
23.ASCII data from a Riegl laser altimeter
24.An ASCII data stream output to NCAR from 3 altimeters
25.Binary data stream from a Campbell CR23X logging
a.MotionPak sensor

This setup worked until the ASIT was powered down on October 7, 2004.
Mini-node #1 failed to come up when power was restored.  On October 8, 2004,
we swapped out mini-node #1 for a new mini-node.  We have had no problems
with this system since, including one short ASIT power cycling on October 13,
2004.

40: ASIT, Site tower, Tue 26-Oct-2004 12:06:09 EDT, WHOI mini-nodes
Notes on WHOI Systems

WHOI is using two mini-nodes to log data at the ASIT.  The mini-nodes are
PC-104 based systems running windows.  The mini-nodes were originally set up
to log:

Mini-node #1:
1.Binary data stream from a Campbell CR23X logging
a.Campbell CSAT sonic
b.Licor IRGA  hygrometer
c.Vaisala RH/T sensor
d.Fast ozone sensor
2.ASCII data stream from a Campbell CR10X logging
a.Eppley PIR sensor
b.Eppley PSP sensor
c.Vaisala P/RH/T sensor
d.RM Young Rain gauge
3.Binary data stream from a Campbell CR23X logging
a.MotionPak sensor
4.ASCII data stream from Licor IRGA hygrometer

Mini-node #2
5.ASCII data from a Riegl laser altimeter
6.ASCII data from a Riegl laser altimeter
7.ASCII data from a Riegl laser altimeter
8.An ASCII data stream output to NCAR from 3 altimeters

36: ASIT, Site tower, Thu 23-Sep-2004 17:56:15 EDT, restarted port 18
Janet sent a message that she was shutting off power at 9:25 am EDT.

Restarted port 18 at 17:52 GMT.  Channels 19-21 not coming in yet.

35: ASIT, Site tower, Wed 22-Sep-2004 12:48:02 EDT, restarted port 18
Power was shut down apparently at 9:30 am EDT.

Restarted port 18 at 16:45 GMT.  Channels 19-21 not coming in as of 16:50 GMT.

34: ASIT, Site tower, Tue 14-Sep-2004 16:04:08 EDT, restarted port 18
There appears to have been an unannounced outage today.
I restarted port 18 at 1958 GMT.

32: ASIT, Site tower, Fri 03-Sep-2004 17:29:35 EDT, ASIT power off
ASIT power off from 1500 - 2120 GMT.

Checked aster and ragwort and all okay, except no data yet for channels
18-20.  Called Janet Fredericks (917-774-521-9197) and she said there
would be a short delay until these channels are turned on.

5 pm MDT:  Channel 18, laser altimeters is on, but channels 19 and 20 not
on.  Janet says that Jim's datalogger(s) are not coming up.  She plans to try
again this evening.
27: ASIT, Site tower, Thu 26-Aug-2004 14:32:47 EDT, ASIT power restored
Restored power to ASIT at 1814 GMT.  I'm not sure how long it has been
shut down.

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:06:13 -0400
From: Janet Fredericks
To: mvco_alert@whoi.edu
Subject: [Mvco_alert] powering down of nodes

Tower power:  Sorry for shutting you'all down last night -- I was trying
to clear a ground fault and ended up shutting the tower down (operator
error).

The 12m node will also be going down in 20 m inutes.

Janet

21: ASIT, Site tower, Tue 17-Aug-2004 15:18:18 EDT, ASIT power down
ASIT power was turned off today, Aug 17, around 10:25 EDT and back on again
around 14:45 EDT.  I turned the port back on around 15:15 EDT.
14: ASIT, Site tower, Wed 04-Aug-2004 16:47:16 EDT, ASIT dimensions
Jim provided the following data on the ASIT tower:

The diving board points to 245 deg and is ~12 m above msl.
The diving board is 15' long and 4.5' wide.

ASIT legs are about 1 m in diameter, their slope is 4 to 1.
The end of the diving board is 20' 11" from the center of the three support
legs.
The centerpoint of the two forward legs is 3' 9"" in front of the center of
the three legs.  The centers of the two forward legs are 4' 4" apart.