Regional Hydroclimate Project:
formerly known as CAMP (CEOP Asian Monsoon Project)
Department of Natural Environmental Sciences,
Sougoukagaku-bu, Hiroshima University
1-7-1 Higashi-hiroshima,Hiroshima,739-8521, Japan
MGS | 45 44' 34.9''| 106 15' 52.2''| 1393 m
Mongolia Regional Map (click for full resolution):
Google Earth .kmz file of CEOP_AP Mongolia Reference Site stations
To develop and verify algorithms for satellite remotesensing of soil moisture by microwave radiometers "AMSR" and "AMSR-E", soil moisture conditions and related meteorological/hydrological factors are being monitored by automatic stations spread in the Mongolian Plateau, where high quality data are expected to be obtained because of relatively uniform ground-surface-conditions.
These data are obtained under the framework of JAXA-JRA "Ground Truth for Evaluation of Soil Moisture and Geophysical/Vegetation parameters Related to Ground Surface Conditions with AMSR and GLI in the Mongolian Plateau" (PI : Prof. I. Kaihotsu, Hiroshima Univ.) and is partnership with Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology, Ministry of Nature and Environment, Mongolia.
Vegetation and Land Use:
Dominant land cover at the measurement location: 311 Grassland
Canopy height: No information
Density of Canopy: No information.
Land cover within 50 m of site: 311 Glassland (95%), 321 Shlubland (5%) All data were observed in summer of 2002.
Land cover within 500 m of site: 311 Glassland (90%), 321 Shlubland (10%) All data were observed in summer of 2002.
Land cover within 12 km of site: 311 Glassland (90%), 321 Shlubland (10%) All data were observed in summer of 2002.
Seasonal land cover changes: Greening from April to September and dead glassland from October to March
Major changes in land cover at site from October 2002 to December 2004: None.
Slope at the site: Flat.
Other notes: None
Soil Type and Characterization:
Surface soil type: Sand (96%), Silt (4%)
Soil type in deeper layers: at the 1m depth: Sand (96%), Silt (4%)
Surface soil porosity: 37.4%
Soil porosity in deeper layers: 43.7% at 0.4m and 33.9% at 1m.
Soil infiltration rate: No information.
Bulk Dry Density: 1.54(g/cm3) at the 0-5cm depth
Saturated Hydraulic Conductivity: 1.87 x 10-3(cm/sec) at the 0-5cm depth, 4.01 x 10-3(cm/sec) at the 100cm depth All data were obtained by the falling head method in laboratory.
The Soil Reference Group(s) (from World Reference Base for Soil Resources): Catanozem
SURFACE METEOROLOGY AND RADIATION INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION:
- Station pressure - 1.1 m ANALOG BAROMETER PTB101 (Campbell; VAISALA)
- Air Temperature - 1.6 m Pt1000
- Dew point - 1.6 m derived
- Relative humidity - 1.6 m 50Y (VAISALA)
- Specific humidity - 1.6 m derived.
- Wind speed - 2.5 m WIND-MONITOR 05103-4 (Young)
- Wind direction - 2.5 m WIND-MONITOR 05103-4 (Young)
- U wind component - 2.5 m derived.
- V wind component - 2.5 m derived.
- Precipitation - 1.15 m RAIN COLLECTOR II(Davis)
- Snow depth - Not measured.
- Incoming shortwave radiation - Not measured.
- Outgoing shortwave radiation - Not measured.
- Incoming longwave radiation - Not measured.
- Outgoing longwave radiation - Not measured.
- Net radiation - 1.5 m NET RADIOMETER Q7(REBS)
- Skin temperature - 0 m 4000.4G (EVEREST)
- Incoming Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) - Not measured.
- Outgoing Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) - Not measured.
The surface meteorological station at MGS station (click for full resolution):
The surface meteorological station and soil sensor at the MGS station (click for full resolution):
- Sensible heat flux - Not measured.
- Latent Heat flux - Not measured.
- CO2 Flux - Not measured.
- Soil heat flux - 5 cm depth Soil Heat Flux Plate
- Soil temperature - 3, 10, 20, 40, and 100 cm depths - thermometer
- Soil moisture - 3, 10, 40, and 100 cm depths - Trime IT
METEOROLOGICAL TOWER INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION:
No data of this type available at this station.
FLUX INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION:
SOIL INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION:
Example of the soil sensors used at the Mongolia Reference Site (click for full resolution):
Example of a soil profile at the Mongolia Reference Site (click for full resolution):
RADIOSONDE INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION:
No data of this type available at this station.
- MAHASRI (13 March 2007; Washington, DC, USA)
- Mongolia Soil Moisture Measurement Accuracy (Word Abstract) (13 March 2007; Washington, DC, USA)
- Mongolia Soil Moisture Measurement Accuracy (PDF Poster) (13 March 2007; Washington, DC, USA)
- Introduction to CAMP Quality Control Data System (27 February 2006; Paris, France)
- GAME/CAMP (10 March 2004; Irvine, California, USA)
- GAME/CAMP (02 April 2003; Berlin, Germany)
- CAMP Mongolia 31 March 2003; Berlin Germany)
- CAMP Mongolia (6 March 2002; Tokyo, Japan)