Radar Image Archive
Jul 1998 - Sep 1998
Make your selections in the frame to the left. Submit your
selections when complete. Loading of image info might take a little
while. Be patient.
Be sure to set your internet connection type. Connection
speed is important, and improper setting will cause dropped frames.
Be aware that not all browsers are compatible with this tool.
About this project
- The valid range of dates/times for this image archive are
shown in the initially-loaded frame to the left. While you
can select to see images from the entire period of collection,
it is recommended that you restrict your selection to a few
days at a time. Selection of all images may not be possible due
to browser memory limitations.
- The images available through this tool are best viewed over a
fast internet connection or off of local DVD or hard disk.
- Images viewed here are available for ftp download, complete
with the image viewing software (use the field project data
Use only the latest versions of your browser. This software uses
browsing-over-the-web and for browsing from your local file system.
Browsing from your local file system can be much, much faster than
browsing over the web.
The image browser has been tested with the following web browsers
and found to work well:
- FireFox (versions 6 through 10); some image flashing on newer versions
- Internet Explorer (versions 7 through 9). This is the smoothest animation
- Safari (versions uncertain)
- Google Chrome (2012 version); works over the web, but not for local files
from the domain of the html files.
Google Chrome is inhibited from working on local files by Google's
design choices. Google assigns a random domain name to each local
file that is opened on your system (i.e., this happens whenever you
see the "file:///" tag in the browser address bar). No modern browser
cannot operate between frames on local files, since Chrome has
assigned each file to a different domain. (I have not found a
work-around to this issue).
Obviously, there are many untested browser/OS pairs. There are
currently no plans to fix incompatibilities for older browsers.
About this viewer tool
- This is a fairly generic image viewing tool. Images displayed are static
images (likely formats are .png, .gif, .jpg). The tool can be used for
display of time-ordered data images, or for display of time-lapse photos
(web cam photos, for example).
processing is done on the client-side from static data and
image files (this allows simple porting of work to CD or DVD).
- There are known bugs; a list may eventually be compiled.
- The code used for this tool will receive incremental upgrades.
Check the EOL web (under this project) for the latest code.
- This tool does not pre-load images, and runs only as fast as
an image can be loaded into your browser; this is highly
dependent upon connections speed. Successive loops for the
same time period may be run faster, since the images are
likely already in local machine cache or memory.
--- Bob Rilling ---
/ NCAR Earth Observing Laboratory
Created: Thu Jan 17 11:05:55 MST 2013