Regional Hydroclimate Project:
BALTEX (Baltic Sea Experiment)
Observatory Site A
Name: Bengt Tammelin, Reijo Hyv÷nen
Finnish Meteorological Institute
P.O. BOX 503 (Street address: Vuorikatu 24)
Telephone: 358-9-1929 4160 (BT), +358-9-1929 4161 (RH)
Fax: None provided
Data are measured at Sodankylä Arctic Research Centre's Observatory (Sodankylä Site A):
Coordinates (WGS-84) lat: 67 22' 00,0" lon: 26 37' 44,6" elev: 179,2 m a.s.l,
The radiosonde data are from Sodankylä, Finland (WMO code: 02836; latitude: 67 22' 00,0" longitude: 26 37' 44,6" elevation: 179,2 m a.s.l).
BALTEX Regional Map (click for full resolution):
Aerial view of site (click for full resolution):
Station Operator: Finnish Meteorological Institute
Vegetation and Land Use:
Dominant land cover at the measurement location: No information.
Canopy height: No information.
Land cover within 50 m of site: No information.
Land cover within 500 m of site: No information.
Land cover within 12 km of site: No information.
Seasonal land cover changes: No information.
Major changes in land cover at site from October 2002 to December 2004: No information.
Slope at the site: No information.
Other notes: None.
Soil Type and Characterization:
Surface soil type: No information.
Soil type in deeper layers: No information.
Surface soil porosity: No information.
Soil porosity in deeper layers: No information.
Soil infiltration rate: No information.
Bulk Dry Density: No information.
Saturated Hydraulic Conductivity: No information.
The Soil Reference Group(s) (from World Reference Base for Soil Resources): No information.
Temperature and precipitation annual cycles (click for full resolution):
SURFACE METEOROLOGY AND RADIATION INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION:
- Station pressure Vaisala PTB220B, 1m
- Air Temperature PT100 element, 2m
- Dew point - calculated
- Relative humidity Vaisala HMP35D, 2m
- Specific humidity calculated
- Wind speed Vaisala WAA-25, 22m
- Wind direction Vaisala WAV-15, 22m
- U wind component calculated
- V wind component calculated
- Precipitation - H&H -90 gauge, 1.5m
- Snow depth - snow stick, 0m
- Incoming shortwave radiation - Kipp & Zonen CM11, 14m
- Outgoing shortwave radiation - Kipp & Zonen CM11, 2m
- Incoming longwave radiation - Not measured.
- Outgoing longwave radiation - Not measured.
- Net radiation Not measured.
- Skin temperature - Not measured.
- Incoming Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) - Not measured.
- Outgoing Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) - Not measured.
METEOROLOGICAL TOWER INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION: No Tower data are available.
FLUX INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION: No Flux data are available.
SOIL INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION: No Soil data are available.
RADIOSONDE INSTRUMENTATION AND DESCRIPTION: Radiosondes are launched in principle two times a day (12 and 24 h UTC).
- BALTEX: The Baltic Sea Experimen t (13 March 2007; Washington, DC, USA)
- A Status Report from the European (BALTEX) Reference Sites in CEOP (2 7 February 2006; Paris, France)
- BALTEX Reference Sites for the CEOP (10 March 2004; Irvine, California, USA)
- BALTEX Sodanklyä (31 March 2003; Berlin, Germany)
- BALTEX Reference Sites for the GEWEX CEOP (6 March 2002; Tokyo, Japan)
- EOP-3/4 and beyond Data Sets and Documentation
- Surface Meteorological Data: Current Status and Browse Plots
- Soil Temperature and Moisture Data: Current Status and Browse Plots
- Flux Data: Current Status and Browse Plots
- Meteorological Tower Data: Current Status and Browse Plots
- EOP-1 Converted Format Data Sets and Documentation
- EOP-1 Native Format Data Sets and Documentation